You might remember my previous post, in which I posted a picture of this beauty:
What had started as an Easter project turned into a single-sitting-get-it-done-in-one-evening-project. Hey well.
So, you might notice that’s this is a Chaos Land Raider. The only real chaosy bits are the sigils on the front and the two marines.
You ain’t fooling anyone, mate. You’re about as loyal as Walder Frey.
Flash on cameras and warhammer models don’t mix
Aaanyway, first thing I did was to try and get rid of some if the primer, and the chaos symbols. The primer was on fairly thick in places, and I didn’t want it to show.
Hmm… It’ll do. (mistake! I realised later that I hadn’t removed it as much as I’d thought… Never mind!)
Next, a minor case of decapitation and removal:
He was right tricksy weasel to remove!
I think we need some more drivers. I think I’ll use the head from what I think was the devastator squad, combined with a servo skull (I like servo skulls)…
And, in homage to the old running joke, this guy can command it:
Hmm, looks like he could do with a little more je nais se quoi…
OK, time for some treads.
If your Raider is this way up, you’ve normall done something wrong. Also, I recommend that if you want to add a servo skull to the top like I did, you try not to rest it upside down, like I did.
OK, treaded up. Weapons!
Now, I could/should have magnetised these so I can easily swap them for Hurricane Bolters or Flamestorm Cannons etc, but I didn’t. I was too excited to finish it completely and have it functional and robust as opposed to versatile. I have a tendency to fluff up delicate work and ruin things, so I’d rather it do one thing well than several things shoddily.
Also, I broke 2/4 of the little pegs that you clip the weapons onto, so it’d make it so much harder.
And shwing! I love lascannon sponsons SO MUCH.
So, time for some priming, I reckon! First, I grab ol’ reliable.
What? Why isn’t it working?
It was at this point I realised that ol’ reliable had failed me. My spray tin had run entirely dry! Not even a fine mist. And, because I’d recently moved from Cardiff to Bristol, I couldn’t buy the paint from my local bargain shop. Noo!
I guess it’s back to hand priming for now…
I wasn’t looking forward to this.
Then I thought… Maybe I could just paint over the red primer? It’d be less thick, and if I was thorough, it wouldn’t make too much of a difference (contrary to what I have said previously!)…
Righto then, time for painting! First it’s Mr Commander:
Then the rest…
The smallest part of this post took the longest time in real life. If only it was that easy…
- Land Raider : £15
- Sergeant from Black Reach: (part of a set that costed me £6.15 (in which I also got 8 terminators, a bike, and 4 other Tacticals) £1.20
Uh, I think that’s it…
Just don’t be afraid of ‘resucing’ an old model. If you’re offered a cheap deal that’ll take a bit of work, I’d say go for it. This took a bit of time to neaten up, and customising to get it to look how I wanted it, but I saved myself £30.
The one thing I do regret is rushing it. I was so pumped to get it done that I was sloppy with a lot of the details. There’s still a fair bit of red undercoat in places, and that means it doesn’t look particularly great, but I am happy with it, overall.