Good morning all! Yesterday I was nominated by Lead Rising for a Liebster Award. The Liebster Award is a fun little thing that Bloggers do in an effort to showcase each other’s work.
There are 3 parts. First is 11 facts about myself, the next is 11 answers to questions put to me by the person who nominated me, and the last is 11 questions from me to the 11 people I will nominate. Make sense? Good.
- I used to be a Morris Dancer. I moved to Bristol recently, and haven’t taken it up since, but I’m big into traditional folk, ale, and bells. I do miss it! I should really pick it up again. I just wish they’d let me keep the bells… I still have the hankies, though! I should probably wash them.
- I’ve recently become obsessed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the show, not the character). Me and Anna have just finished the last series, and I’ve since started the Comics. It’s getting unhealthy. I’ve even started contemplating running the Buffyverse RPG…
- I’m very happily engaged, and our 3rd anniversary-from-when-we-started-going-out is tomorrow. We don’t have a wedding date set. A very long engagement!
- About 5 years ago I once played the Didgeridoo for a visit by Prince Charles. Seriously! Highlight of that day was the Cheif of the Hampshire Police force coming up to me and saying “Don’t worry, we know who you are. No one is going to shoot you”. Very reassuring.
- The only Warhammer models I’ve personally bought brand new are 1 Tactical Squad and a Storm Talon. Everything else has been gifted, given, bartered or bought second hand.
- My favourite drink is Herefordshire Pale Ale. I’ve only ever drunk it once, and it was beautiful. If you ever find it, buy it. It’s gorgeous.
- I have a mischievous cat name Mao. Also named Snuffles, also named Kitty. She has many names. She is the cutest cat, no exceptions. Just look at her!
- I would love to get back into Warhammer Fantasy, but I don’t think I’ll be able to do it cheaply. You seem to need so many models, and less people playing it means less second hand goodness. I used to play Vampire Counts (necrach, biznitches!) and Dark Elves. I miss it. One day. Maybe I’ll go Khemri… I always did love skeletons.
- I’ve literally yesterday started two fitness plans to get more into shape. One is a 6 week 100 pushups challenger, the second is a 6 week Couch to 5k running challenge. Wish me luck!
- My all time favourite game is a tie between X-Com (the original, not the remake), Dark Souls, and Populous the Beginning, though my all-time-favourite-moments from my gaming career are the following: The ending of Mass Effect 2 and This Scene from Fable 3. I’m not sure why I love that Fable scene so much. I think it’s a combination of the artwork, the music, the concept… I just love it. Has some curse struck that pub, causing everyone inside to dance, drink and make merry until their very skin rots away? Are they doing it for love? Has the same curse caused the land around them to crumble into the ocean? Is the tavern moments away from eroding away, too? I like to imagine them as people, before they were skeletons. I don’t know. I just love it.
- I used to have big mutton chops. Never again.
Right! Now that you know me better, the next part of the Liebster is to answer the 11 questions put to me by my nominator. here they go:
- Role play games, do you play them and if so which ones?
I played Deathwatch for a good couple of years. It’s that which got me into tabletop 40k. I’d made Kaine, an Iron Devourer, and since then I’d been hooked. Other than that, I’ve done various RPG games from homebrewed LARPing to one-shot GM’s Challenge games. A lot of fun!
- What is your single favourite miniature that is in your collection?
Oh me oh my how to choose! I think it will soon be my new Shadowsword, but that’s barely a mini! It’s a biggie! I’d probably say my Mini version of Kaine. I’m really happy with the way that came out. Either that, or my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor based off a Doctor Who model.
- Do you attend wargaming tournaments? If so then do you prefer it to ‘casual’ gaming?
I have never, not really. I am involved in a little league, but it’s only for fun. I’ve heard too many horror stories of Tournament-goers to really want to try it myself. Fun and fluff all the way!
- What was the first miniature you ever purchased?
Oh blimey. I think it was a 3-man booster pack of Grave Guard for my Vampire Counts. Memories!
- Have you ever tried writing your own game system?
I have. I had a lot of fun creating a Board Game based on the Olympics, but set in a fantasy world. It was a card/board game that involved players being given a squad of random creatures and having to do all they could to outwit their opponent to win events. That was fun… I started making the art for it, but sort of gave up. My favourite part was that I spelled ‘orc’ with a q.
- Would you rather it was always windy or always raining?
Always windy, I suppose. I’d miss the sun. I love it when it’s sunny and cold at the same time.
- What is the greatest sandwich you have ever made?
I used to make triple-decker peanut-butter and cheese sarnies. They were glorious. The best, though, is probably the humble Mashed Potato sandwich. Trust me, give it a try.
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a firefighter (cliche, I know!). I work in a fire station now, but in IT, so that’s sort of accomplished?
- What is your favourite TV show – current or past?
Buffy at the moment! Past… Hmm… Garth Merenghi’s Darkplace? Firefly? Pocoyo? So much to choose from!
- Pick your favourite – beer, cider, wine or spirits?
Beer, but good beer. I don’t like a lot of stuff, mostly Ales. Other than that, Bailey’s. Macho, I know.
- Describe your perfect day.
Wake up, have a cuddle, go for a sunny walk, have a pub lunch, go to the beach, have a restaurant dinner, sweets and TV then more cuddles and bed. Simple pleasures, most involving food. That’s me!
Right! So, the blogs I’m going to nominate are:
- One Page 40k: An interesting and clever take on 40k – condensed to 1 page!
- 40kerminatus: Plenty of WWII stuff as well as 40k stuff.
- League of Evil Thespians: Moving short stories galore. Just read it.
- Promethean Cult: Very interesting take on Battle Reports. Comic-style!
- WorkbenchWarrior: This blog may make you jealous. that airbrushing… lush.
- Tiny Plastic Failure: The name alone is hilarious. Check it out.
- Dagger and Brush: A plethora of Wargames, scenery, etc. Lovely.
- Warhammer 39,999: Interesting Battle Reports as well as painting, hobby bits and bobs.
- tjkopena: Great Battle Reports and wonderful pictures.
Any my questions to you, are thus!
- How many models you estimate that you own, fully assembled and painted?
- What about unassembled or unpainted?
- What’s your go-to joke?
- How long have you been wargaming for?
- Would you rather A: Be incredibly wealthy but have severe health problems (that money can’t fix), or B: be poor but be in perfect health?
- Do you have a favourite mini in your collection?
- What’s the deal with aeroplane food?
- Do you think 40k should be more random or less random? How would you balance it?
- Barbeques or Buffets?
- Have you ever paid for a mini to be painted for you? How did it go?
- If you could magically have a book by you written in an instant, what would it be about?
…and that’s that.
Oh, I also bought and painted some Crusaders. Still need to base them, but I’ve run out of sand. I think I like the white one more:
Until next time!